12/27/08

Creative Capitalism

Anyone who knows me probably knows my fascination with the idea of Creative Capitalism, as coined by Bill Gates. Read the article. It's brilliant. I've worked in non-profits and noticed an often clear lack of business savvy, while in the corporate world it's so often all about profit and not about helping others. Social entrepreneurship is what I want, and when I figure out what exactly what that means for me, you'll be reading about it. Basically, I want to start a business that yes, makes me money, b/c that is what businesses are supposed to do, but also that actually improves the quality of life for impoverished or otherwise underprivileged individuals.

"This is the heart of creative capitalism. It's not just about doing more corporate philanthropy or asking companies to be more virtuous. It's about giving them a real incentive to apply their expertise in new ways, making it possible to earn a return while serving the people who have been left out. This can happen in two ways: companies can find these opportunities on their own, or governments and nonprofits can help create such opportunities where they presently don't exist."

Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment